Sunday, September 07, 2008

Where I went today

I went to Kuala Selangor with my parents together with a few other uncles and aunties this afternoon. Not surprisingly, I was the only 'child' or 'kid' or teen or whichever word you can use to describe a not-yet adult person. It was fine with me. I went because I wanted to eat seafood and I didn't want to spend my time alone at home.

The journey to the fishing village would last for an hour and so, packed with a big icebox and a big bottle of water to wash our feet later, we then headed to Kuala Selangor. The plan was to buy fish/seafood in the market and head straight to a nearby seafood restaurant recommended by Uncle Michael.

There at the market my mum spoke Hokkien to all the fishmongers, be it young or old. As I toured with my mother around the market from stall to stall while she bargains in Hokkien, I could not imagine myself being her in 15 to 20 years time. No, not me. But as much as I wanted to be a housewife later on, I could not imagine myself doing the bargaining thing with these fishmongers. What more in Hokkien.

At the dinner table after that, there was one conversation between the aunties that got me thinking. They were talking about gardening, much to my amusement of how much my mother, a housewife, a real housewife enjoys doing. I, for one, do not go much to the garden to admire the plants. Don't even mention gardening. Going marketing and gardening are two both important aspects in the life of a housewife. And I'm not even the slightest bit interested. Is it about time I get interested in them, or it just isn't my 'calling'?

Yes, indeed I now know a little bit on how to choose a fresh fish in the market and some bargaining tips. I do hope these will help me later on... if I... do become... a... housewife.

p/s: FYI, no it wasn't my first time going to the fish market or any market of that sort.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home