Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hannah Yeoh: Called for such a time as this

Hannah Yeoh? Who's that? That was everyone's question before the election campaign earlier this year.

I didn't regret staying back after service last night to attend Hannah Yeoh's talk. In fact, I enjoyed it. She was truly a great inspiration to all of us who were there last night. She came with her husband in the midst of us eating dinner and when they stepped in, a few of us clapped but the others were either oblivious of who she is or not bothered (tsk tsk). Well, FYI, if you don't know, she's the state assemblyman (or woman in this case) for Subang Jaya.

Just as she was sitting there along with her husband, Ram and Marcel, I can't help noticing how familiar she looks. Then I realised she looks somewhat a little like Serena..hehe. Cheryl kinda agreed that she looks like Serena when the latter was in her Form 5. She also reminds me of Amanda Cheong (lol).

Her husband, Ram spoke first and in the course of him speaking, there was pin drop silence. No one made a noise and were listening to him intently. He talked about how he and Hannah got into politics, how they made into DAP, how difficult it was during the campaign and the challenges they had to encounter now after being appointed as a leader in their community. His side of the story was incredible and interesting in which I cannot explain everything here cos there's just so much that he had said.

Then, after the interesting speech my Ram, it was Hannah's turn to speak and since Ram took up most of her time, she dragged a little longer in which I was glad that she did. Her experience as an MP and being a devoted Christian at the same time really shook all of us who were sitting comfortably in our seats... Never did we imagine the difficult tasks she had to undertake and the challenges she had to face as a Christian MP. She told us about people who sent emails to her complaining about private matters involving the tree in front of their house, the drainage system, personal counseling, marriage problems, and even computer problems! I mean, who in their right mind would be so free to layan these emails? In my heart, I thought, if I were you Hannah, I would have just given up my post. I don't have that perseverance and determination which she has. But, she, like any normal girl would do, cried a lot, prayed a lot and still continued the journey God has in store for her. Who would have a thought a girl like her, a nobody, whom no one has ever heard of, would suddenly come up to be a leader in her community? She herself never thought of becoming one, but because of God's calling on her life, she obediently took up the challenge.

I felt trully inspired after last night and wanted to blog right away after coming home. I even had the title for the post formed in my head. I was inspired by her message, not to be a politician but inspired to be a blessing to our community.

An interesting young woman, I must say.

So, who wants to follow Hannah Yeoh's footsteps?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home