Monday, March 03, 2008

Amazing tales from China

My parents just got back from China last night and boy, do they have amazing stories to tell...
Some of you must be thinking... "China.? Again...??" Well, yea. This is the second time in 6 months and the third for my mum. The last time was during our big homefellowship sorta retreat in 2004 which was the funnest (if there's such a word) trip ever and our very first (and only?) overseas trip together.

So, anyway, the main reason they went to China, this time to Shan Tou, GuangZhou, was to visit their long lost relatives. (Wow...!) Yea, long lost.... My dad's long lost cousin (dad's father's sister's chidren) and my mum's auntie (mum's father's sister). According to my mum, my mum's grandmother left her auntie in China cos she's one of the only daughters in the family and brought the younger daughter to Malaysia instead. So, she was left alone there in China, married at the age of 15, now with her family. Confused? Haha.

Arriving at the Teochew city, Swatow (yes I'm Teochew, pure some more ok...don't play play... and I'm no banana.. I know how to speak...just maybe not as good as my family..hehe), my parents were greated most warmly by their relatives there. They were sooooo happy to meet them. My dad's relatives even invited the other family members (a total of 5 tables in the restaurant) for lunch to welcome my parents. Amazing, isn't it, how warm can China people be... :) Btw, I've not finish my story-telling yet. Please bear with me. :)

According to my parents, (now this is the shocking part of the story) one of my dad's niece/nephew's children got married at the age of 18/19 as his/her wife was pregnant at the age of 17. So, basically, my dad's cousin (age 81) has become a great-grandfather and that makes my father a

GREAT-GRANDUNCLE!

I can't believe it!

Lol..does that mean... I'm...(wait a minute..nonono)... a...gggrrraaaanndauuntiiee??? HA?! You serious ar??! At the age of 20??! NO WAY! And I thought being an auntie was old enough... Grandauntie some more...urghhh... I'm starting to feel old now..

Well, as much as I have other stories to tell, I'm afraid I don't have the time now. Anyways, hope you enjoyed a little of what I heard from my parents from China. :)

Picture posts ahead! :p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home